On April 13 2017, the Civic Chamber of the Russian Federation (Moscow) hosted a round table about the First World Congress for persons with disabilities (September 7-10, 2017 in Yekaterinburg, Russia) and the problems of the implementation of the principles of the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (further, CRPD).
Among the participants of the round table there were members of the Civic Chamber, governmental officials, social work specialists whose professional focus is on people with disabilities, managers and directors of disability social organizations, and other social experts.
The participants discussed difficulties with the implementation of the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (December 13 2006). The Convention was ratified in Russia on May 3 2012 by the power of the federal law 46-FZ, although it came in operation on the territory of the Russian Federation and other supporting countries on May 3 2008.
The First World Congress for persons with disabilities (September 7-10, 2017) is acknowledged to be an effective measure in stimulating the participation of people with disabilities in designing policies that directly affect their lives and in attracting public attention to the problems of quality of life and social inclusion of people with disabilities.
As a result of the discussion, the participants resolved to:
1. Support the initiative of the Coordination committee of the Civic Chamber of the Russian Federation on children with disabilities and other people with disabilities to develop and establish a national strategy of actions in the interest of people with disabilities.
2. Support the suggestion to develop and establish a set of actions (“a roadmap”) on the implementation of the CRPD in the Russian Federation.
3. Support the suggestion to develop and establish evaluation criteria of the efficiency of state organizations, whose activities directly concern the implementation of the CRPD.
4. Address the Council of Federation of the Federal Assembly of the Russian Federation, the State Duma of the Federal Assembly of the Russian Federation, the Government of the Russian Federation with a suggestion to support the First World Congress for persons with disabilities, scheduled to take place on September 7-10, 2017 in Yekaterinburg.
5. Address Russian media with a suggestion to support the First World Congress for persons with disabilities through providing information dissemination on TV, radio and in print media.